Aims of ProCeDE
To investigate the performance of the new ESPGHAN diagnostic criteria for CD in practice in different european countries.
- To evaluate whether the omission of biopsies in selected pediatric cases does result in certain diagnosis of CD (avoid false positive diagnosis of CD)
- To evaluate characteristics and severity of symptoms in relation to histology and CD specific antibody titers
- To determine the best optimal cut-off point for antibody levels in children with symptoms of CD which predict mucosal damage with 99% specificity.
- To determine whether the determination of HLA typing adds diagnostic value in cases with positive specific antibodies
- To determine which of the available antibody tests (TG2, EMA, DGP) are most suitable for the initial diagnosis in relation to age and type of symptoms
- To determine which of the available antibody tests (TG2, EMA, DGP) are most suitable for follow up of the children with proven CD during the 18 months on a gluten free diet (GFD)
- To evaluate prospectively whether a diagnostic score based on symptoms, histology, serology and HLA testing is most appropriate
- To evaluate the inter observer variability for histology between the local and the reference pathologist